No reason to make this post funny or really interesting, but I just wanted to update everyone since I'm realizing I am horrible at updating this. My TEFL certification class ended Jan 30, I went to Denmark for 5 days (email me for photos), and now I'm back in Madrid searching for jobs. The job search, to be honest, is horrible. I had one interview, during which they offered me the job, but it was one hour teaching a day, and they seemed to have no structure, curriculum, etc. for me to follow. She wanted me to go to some company and level test an executive that day so I could place him and teach him. I would love to work for people who allow me flexibility and freedom to teach as I like, but when they seem to have to structure or support, that's not for me. Since then, nothing. I have received replies to my inquiries when I send out my CV (my school also did this for me but that really hasn't done me much good, either). The replies either say they don't have any spots open now, but will keep my CV/resume on file. OR. They ask about my working papers/visa. I did a lot of research before committing to move to Spain and I knew this would be an issue in the very large/well-known language schools, but no where else. Apparently now with the economy/influx of English teachers, all these schools have decided to actually care. I always respond truthfully and say I don't have my work visa YET (I figured I should at least make it seem like it's a possibility) and ask if there is any chance I could still interview with them. They all say no, but "Please let me know when you have your papers in order—I’ll be pleased to schedule an interview at that time." I have even been looking in au pairing, but living out of the family's house. However, most of them pay 100 euro a week, IF that. For some of the families, 100/week with the hours they are asking comes out to about 4 euro an hour. I don't think so! I have come to the realization that although I love Madrid, I also love Chicago, and if I am going to end up working a job for a while that I don't really want to do, I think I would rather do that in Chicago. At least there I will be able to make a decent salary, save money, and be with my family and friends. With that said, I have decided that if I do not find a job that I like and that pays me well enough that I can live here without dipping into my savings every month, I will move back home to Evanston at the end of March.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Although I very much would love it if you were back in Chicago (so I could see you!), I sincerely hope things work out and you can work your dream job.
Sorry to hear the job search hasn't worked out YET. Now that you've made that decision, I hope something marvelous happens. No need to worry about anything. Just enjoy the time you have left. Whether it is March or June we are waiting with arms open, ready to give you a great big hug.
I agree with Jean. Don't worry. Relax. Enjoy whatever time you have there. We are here for you with lots of love.
I hope things work out in Spain, but it will be good to see you whenever you get back.
Post a Comment