Sunday, March 15, 2009

Decisions

I have to admit, I am excited to go home for several reasons. Let's check out the list I made weeks ago when I first started realizing I might have to go home. I entitled my list "Things to Look Forward to at Home":
My big bed
Family & friends
CBA
Cottage cheese
Sweet Tomatoes
Lindsey’s Wedding
Saving money
Carpet in house
Cheese fries
Beach
Homemade dips
Drier for clothes
Dad’s burgers
Don Juan’s
Pretzels

I realize now that most things are food...hmmm. I know I could add more to it now but honestly don't see the need... I'll be home soon enough. And a side note... I put in friends and family as an after thought because to me it was too obvious to put on a list, but then looking at the list without that, I felt wrong for not writing it. Ha.



Now for a more serious note...

I love Madrid and love living here. However, lately I have been feeling very.... I can't find the right word... but I am basically hanging out here/having an extended vacation that some of us have experienced before...called Unemployment. If it weren't for Angela coming next week (YAY!), I may have left earlier. But maybe then I would not have felt ready... like it was rushed or something. Either way, I have had a lot of free time and also a lot of time alone since most of my friends here actually WORK during the day! I keep wondering if coming to Madrid was the right choice for me.. and the answer that keeps coming to me is NO. This really upsets me because I put so much time and stress into my decision to come here that I feel like I let myself down. I had been spending a lot of time looking up other teaching or volunteering options but have basically given up that for now. (Although if anyone knows of a good opportunity for me... let me know?) People (my mom especially) tell me that I still had a great experience coming back here and sure, maybe I did, but right now it does not feel like that. I spent tons of money on a class to get certified... a certification that I have not and may never use. And now I'm just "hanging out" and I hate not having anything to do.. I feel that I am wasting time and basically just feel like a bum. I meet people here and when asked what I'm doing here, I say teaching English. But wait... I'm not. I follow a blog of someone who is in Costa Rica with the program I was going to do (if you're reading, sorry if it's weird to mention that, Kelsey! haha) and it makes me doubt my decision even more. Would I have been better off in Costa Rica, sticking with my original plan and decision? Coming home so soon, it seems strange to think that for WorldTeach/Costa Rica, I would still be gone for months. However, I would have accomplished exactly what I originally set out to do. I will never know, and that is really getting to me. I put a lot of research and planning into my move to Madrid and keep feeling like it was all for nothing. I am not looking for sympathy nor do I mean to complain about my situation. I am simply trying to explain what I have been feeling for the majority of the time that I have been done with class. I have met a few amazing people here who I am starting to consider good friends, and I really hope we will be able to stay in contact. However, beyond that, I am losing sight in other positive things that have come from my possibly very wrong decision. I guess that is life though. You can not always be right, you cannot always make the right decisions, but hopefully the "wrong" decisions can lead to something good... maybe mine will too. I just can't see it yet.

8 comments:

Janet said...

Maybe you will never know what the "right" decision was for you, but we learn from all of our experiences, good, bad or indifferent. There may be some very small but important reason why you were meant to be in Madrid these few months. Someday you may figure that out. For now, take the good from it and remember that this is a good time in your life for adventures. And when it's over, we will be here with open arms, and maybe some of those food items from your list, when you return. :-*

Anonymous said...

Yikes!! Don't be so hard on yourself. You are in Madrid so that I get to Italy in my lifetime. I would have never considered Italy. I expect smiles and fun when I see you next month. And those new friends - they are worth more than your bank account.
Love you.

Janet said...

Amen, Jean!

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that since getting a job was so much a part of the plan, of course that downside has been a big problem, because, yes, "unemployment" is a downer no matter what the circumstances. But don't let it obscure all the good stuff.And when you look back, you'll remember what a great experience this was. But we can talk about all this while sipping wine in an Italian piazza!
And I'm another one who wouldn't be going to Rome otheriwse, or gotten on Facebook, or Skpe. Not sure those three are equal, but notice how I've managed to make it all about me :-). And I'd really miss the enjoyment I've had looking at your photos. Love you and looking forward to seeing you in less than four weeks in Roma. Enjoy your remaining time to the fullest. Ciao!

Sarah said...

Love you guys!!!

But man, where are my non-family readers?!

YAY ITALY!!!

Kelsey said...

Sorry Spain didn´t work out as you had hoped...but all the traveling does sound awesome! Enjoy and worry about the unemployment thing later...after all, all the Costa Rica people are going to be in the same boat when we get back!

Sarah said...

Thanks Kelsey :)

Maybe I will fly down to Costa Rica, sneak into a village, and pretend I was doing WorldTeach the entire time! haha

Anonymous said...

SARAH!!! Wow- that was a pretty emotional post for me to read. I know how it is to feel like your life isn't going as planned and sometimes you get diverted from your perfect path. But it's true: you will always be led back to where you're meant to go. I'm 100% sure when you look back on this time in your life and your decision to go to Madrid, you will be pleased with how bold and brave you were. In hindsight, you will see the great things that have come out of the past few months. Can't wait to see you! :)
Olivia